Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How-To: Stickin' it to my Ugly Metal Doors


For the past two years, I have tried desperately to cover the plain, flush metal doors in my apartment.  Using magnets, photographs and posters, all I was able to accomplish was high school locker chic.  Inspired by some vintage stile and rail doors that I saw at a thrift store recently, I set out to use implied architectural detail to add personality to my entries.

Step-by-Step
1.) Measure the overall dimensions of your door.  Based on the size of your door, decide how many panels you want.  Check out manufacturer websites for design inspiration.  Draw and dimension your plan on graph paper.

2.) Clean your door with a mild soap and water solution to remove any dust or dirt.  Allow to dry.  Use a pencil and straight edge to mark off your design.  

3.) Cut and apply strips of white electrical tape that are slightly longer than the panel markings for your design.

4.) Use an Xacto knife and straight edge to cut off the excess lengths of tape.

*Tip1: Electrical tape will stretch when pulled off of a roll.  Allow the tape to relax to its original length before applying it to your door.

*Tip 2: Be sure to place tape consistently on either the inside or outside of your measurements.

*This method was tested on a metal door with a semi-gloss paint finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment